The Strelitzia Reginae is native to southern Africa where they call it the Crane Flower. The meaning behind Bird of Paradise includes joy, paradise and freedom. It gets its name from its large colourful flower that resembles an exotic bird in flight.
The Orange Bird of Paradise is a very popular ornamental house plant due to its large banana-tree leaves and beautiful flowers. These rare tropical seeds are easy to grow and the upright nature of the plant makes them perfect for smaller, more compact spaces!
When to Sow Orange Bird of Paradise Seeds
- Sow: Indoors all year round!
- Germination: These exotic seeds take 6-8 Weeks to sprout, although we have seen results much quicker than this!
How to Grow an Orange Bird of Paradise
- Place your seeds into a bowl of slightly warm water for 2 days, changing the water daily. This kick starts the germination process. Drain the seeds and remove any orange tufts attached to them.
- Fill your seed tray, or pots, with a mix of sieved, well-draining soil mix made up of 50/50 compost and vermiculite or horticultural sand. Moisten the compost, but don’t soak it. Scarify each tropical plant seed, then place one inch deep, and lightly cover with compost.
- Cover the tray with a clear plastic zip-lock bag, or anything that is clear so still lets light in but covers the tray to create a greenhouse-like atmosphere.
- Place in the warmest and brightest spot in your house without being in direct sunlight during the germination process.
- Keep the soil moist but not saturated until the seeds germinate. Keep an eye on the plastic covering, if there is water dripping, loosen the plastic slightly to give some ventilation as seeds can rot if conditions are too damp.
- The seeds should germinate in 6-8 weeks, remove the plastic covering as soon as they do.
- Transplant into individual pots once each seedling has two true leaves, and a water well. Keep the pots in indirect sunlight and keep the compost moist, watering through the bottom.
Top tip: These tropical plants thrive in humid conditions, so your bathroom, conservatory or greenhouse is the ideal location for your Strelitzia Reginae!
- Free shipping to UK addresses.
- Orders dispatched within 1-2 days.
- Seeds shipped in a padded envelope for protection.