The Agave Attenuata more commonly known as the Fox Tail Agave is a rare exotic succulent from Mexico. It gets its name from its rosette silvery, pale green leaves that resemble an open flower and its curved inflorescence that can appear in the summer on mature plants.
The tropical seed of the Fox Tail Agave is easy to grow and looks great in containers and planters in small spaces, it is also incredibly drought resistant.
When to Sow Fox Tail Agave Seeds
- Sow indoors all year round! The Fox Tail Agave should be in a warm location to germinate.
- Germination can take 3-6 weeks, though we have seen success in as little as 10 days!
How to Grow a Fox Tail Agave
- Fill your seed tray or pots with a mix of 50/50 compost and vermiculite or horticultural sand. Moisten the soil but don’t soak it.
- Place your agave seeds on the soil, leaving at least 1cm between each. Then cover the seeds with a thin layer of soil.
- Cover the tray with a clear plastic zip-lock bag, or anything you can find around the house, that is clear so still lets light in to cover the tray and can create a greenhouse-like atmosphere.
- Place your container somewhere warm but not exposed to direct sunlight. Agaves need warmth to germinate so find the warmest spot in your house.
- Keep the soil continuously moist but not soaked during the germination period.
- Germination usually starts within 10-12 days but can be up to 3 weeks. Remove the plastic zip-lock bag 5 days after your seedlings appear.
- It is important to keep a close eye on your agave once your seedlings have appeared, it should not be allowed to completely dry off so you may need to spray it with water daily.
- Agaves bred from seed start off as one leaf, it will start to form a new second leaf roughly 4 weeks after germination.
- For the first couple of months, agaves need a similar amount of light every day, this should be a sufficient amount of light but avoid direct sunlight.
- Agave seedlings also have the tendency to fall over, to stop this you can add some small pebbles on top of the soil around your plant.
Top tip: The empty shell of the seed can stay at the top of the plant for a long time. You can take it off gently by yourself if you wish but it’s not necessary.
- Free shipping to UK addresses.
- Orders dispatched within 1-2 days.
- Seeds shipped in a padded envelope for protection.