If you're looking to add a flavourful and colourful vegetable to your garden, the Organic Red Onion Seeds are perfect for you. These seeds are certified as organically produced by the Soil Association and contain approximately 44 seeds per pack. With the right conditions, you can grow your own Red Onions to enjoy in late Summer to early Autumn.
When to Sow Red Onion Seeds:
The best time to sow Red Onion seeds in the UK is from March to May. The soil should be weed-free and well-drained. If you plan to sow seeds directly into the ground, make sure the soil temperature is at least 7°C (45°F) for the seeds to germinate.
How to Grow Red Onion from Seed:
- Start by sowing the seeds 1cm deep in rows spaced 30cm apart.
- Water the soil regularly to keep it moist, but not waterlogged.
- Once the seedlings have reached a height of 10cm, thin them out to leave 10cm between each plant.
- Optionally, you can apply a general-purpose fertiliser once a month during the growing season.
- Red Onions prefer full sun, so choose a spot in your garden that receives at least six hours of direct sunlight per day.
- Keep the area around your Red Onion plants weed-free by regularly hoeing the soil.
How to Care for Red Onion Plants:
- Water Red Onion plants regularly to keep the soil moist but not waterlogged.
- Mulch around the plants to help retain moisture and suppress weed growth.
- Once the onion bulbs start to swell, reduce the watering to allow the onions to dry out before harvesting.
- Harvest the onions when the foliage starts to turn yellow and fall over.
Benefits of Red Onions:
In addition to adding a burst of colour and flavour to your dishes, Red Onions also offer several health benefits. They contain antioxidants, which help to fight inflammation and may reduce the risk of certain chronic diseases. Red Onions are also a good source of fibre, vitamin C, and folate.
Order your organic Red Onion seeds today and start growing your own delicious and healthy Red Onions at home.