The Blue Yucca or Yucca Rigida is a rare plant native to Mexico and has blue-green spear-shaped leaves that point upwards. In the Spring they can produce bell-shaped white flowers.
These exotic seeds are easy to grow and make excellent feature plants in planters on patios and terraces. Blue Yuccas are hardy tropical plants making them a great plant to grow from seed here in the UK.
When to Sow Blue Yucca Seeds
- Sow indoors all year round!
- Germination can take 1-3 months, though we have seen success in as little as two weeks!
How to Grow a Blue Yucca
- Place your seeds into a bowl of slightly warm water for 24 hours. This starts off the germination process.
- Fill your seed tray, or pots, with a sieved compost made up of 50/50 compost and vermiculite or horticultural sand. Moisten the compost, but don’t soak it. Pop two seeds into each cell or pot, then lightly cover with compost.
- Cover the tray with a clear plastic zip-lock bag, or anything clear you can find around the house, that will let light and create a greenhouse-like atmosphere.
- Place in a warm, sunny spot in your house during the germination process. The plastic cover will help with keeping the warmth in to encourage the seeds to germinate.
- Keep the soil moist but not saturated, watering through the bottom is best. Keep an eye on the plastic covering, if there is water dripping, loosen the plastic slightly to give some ventilation as seeds can rot if conditions are too damp.
- The seeds should germinate in 1-3 months, remove the plastic covering as soon as they do.
- Transplant to individual 8cm pots once two true leaves have appeared.
- Water a few times a week, when the soil is dry, once established water once a week.
Top tip: The Yucca Rigida can be planted outside when it is established, however, it will need protection from very wet weather in winter, so it is best to plant into a pot that can be moved inside during the winter months!
- Free shipping to UK addresses.
- Orders dispatched within 1-2 days.
- Seeds shipped in a padded envelope for protection.