The Jacaranda Mimosifolia more commonly known as Blue Jacaranda or Bonsai Blue is an ornamental, sub-tropical tree native to South America. It has become increasingly popular all around the world because of its beautiful, long-lasting violet coloured flowers. It has fern-like foliage and is heat and drought resistant, this beautiful tree also attracts butterflies, bees and other pollinators.
The Bonsai Blue Tree can often be seen on exotic holidays, however, these rare seeds are easy to grow in the UK as they can also thrive in more temperate regions as a fantastic foliage plant. It can be grown outdoors in the Summer and bought inside, or in a greenhouse during the winter months.
When to Sow Blue Jacaranda Seeds
- Sow: Indoors all year round!
- Germination: 2-6 Weeks, although we have seen results much quicker than this!
How to Grow a Blue Jacaranda
- Place your seeds into a bowl of slightly warm water for 24 hours. This kick starts the germination process.
- Fill your seed tray, or pots, with a mix of sieved, well-draining soil mix made up of 50/50 compost and vermiculite. Moisten the compost, but don’t soak it. Place 3 seeds into each pot onto the surface of the soil, and lightly cover with compost.
- Cover the pots with a clear plastic zip-lock bag or anything that is clear so lets light in but creates a greenhouse-like atmosphere.
- Place in a warm and bright spot in your house without being in direct sunlight during the germination process. Be sure to protect your seeds from cooler temperatures.
- Keep the soil moist but not saturated until the seeds germinate. Keep an eye on the plastic covering, if there is water dripping, loosen the plastic slightly to give some ventilation as seeds have a tendency to rot if conditions are too wet.
- The seeds should germinate in 2-6 weeks, remove the plastic covering as soon as they do.
- Transplant into individual well-draining pots, only when absolutely necessary due to a lack of space or after 8 months.
- Place in a very warm, sunny spot in your garden during the summer months.
- Prune your young Jacaranda tree to form one central trunk this encourages strength and stability. It will also need seasonal pruning of broken, dead or diseased branches.
- Jacaranda trees bloom twice a year, once in late May and again in Autumn in the right conditions.
Top tip: Make sure you protect your Blue Jacaranda from strong winds!
- Free shipping to UK addresses.
- Orders dispatched within 1-2 days.
- Seeds shipped in a padded envelope for protection.