The Fiddle Leaf Fig has become increasingly popular in recent years, they originate from the rainforest in South Africa. They are a beautiful, ornamental plant with great air-purifying abilities. Ficus Lyrata got their name from their leaves, because they are shaped like a fiddle. They produce leaves that are huge, and glossy, with prominent veins.
When to Sow Ficus Lyrata Seeds
- Sow: Indoors all year round!
- Germination: 6-12 Weeks, although we have seen results much quicker than this!
How to Grow a Fiddle Leaf Fig
- Fill your seed tray or pots with a mix of 50/50 compost and vermiculite or horticultural sand. Moisten the soil but don’t soak it.
- Place the Fiddle Leaf Fig seeds on the surface of the compost, two per cell or pot. As the seeds are so small there is no need to cover them with soil.
- Cover the seed tray with a clear plastic bag, or anything clear you can find around the house, that will let in light, and create a humid atmosphere.
- Place in a warm, sunny spot with indirect sunlight in your house during the germination process. The plastic cover will help keep the warmth in to encourage the seeds to germinate.
- Keep the soil moist but not saturated during the germination process, watering through the bottom is best. If water starts dripping on the plastic covering, loosen the plastic slightly to give some ventilation, otherwise, the seeds could rot.
- The seeds should germinate in 6-12 weeks, remove the plastic covering as soon as they do. Transplant to individual 8cm pots once well established enough to handle.
- Keep the soil moist and don’t allow it to dry out, water them less in the winter periods.
- Once well-established, take care to choose a perfect spot it can grow into, a bright spot with indirect sunlight. Please note Ficus Lyrata don’t like to be moved and can be sensitive to cold draughts and radiators.
- Fertilise your fig tree monthly during the Spring and Summer and every two months during the Autumn and Winter.
Top tip: Fiddle Leaf Figs only need light watering, set a reminder on your phone once a week to check the soil moisture, only water if the top two inches of soil are dry. They also absorb a lot of moisture through their leaves so give them a regular mist!
- Free shipping to UK addresses.
- Orders dispatched within 1-2 days.
- Seeds shipped in a padded envelope for protection.