Chamaedora Elegans commonly known as a Parlour Palm is a small exotic palm tree native to the rainforests in Southern Mexico and Guatemala. It has been very popular as a tropical houseplant since Victorian times!
Parlour Palms bring a touch of elegance to any room, it is also air-purifying and pet-safe. They are easy to grow because they are low maintenance in terms of water, sunlight and temperature, perfect for first-time plant parents!
When to Sow Parlour Palm Seeds
- Sow indoors all year round! The Parlour palm needs to be in a very warm location to germinate.
- Germination: These exotic seeds can take 2-3 months to germinate, though we have seen success in as little as three weeks!
How to Grow a Parlour Palm
- Place your seeds into a bowl of slightly warm water for 24 hours. This allows the seeds to absorb water and starts the germination process.
- Fill your seed tray, or pots, with a well-drained soil mix made up of 50/50 compost and vermiculite or horticultural sand. Moisten the compost, but don’t soak it. Scarify each seed, then place one seed in each cell 2cm deep, and lightly cover with compost.
- Cover the tray with a clear plastic zip-lock bag, or anything you can find, that still lets light in and creates a greenhouse-like atmosphere.
- Place in a shady, warm spot in your house but not in direct sunlight. You could even place the tray in an airing cupboard if you have one, as these seeds don’t need much light in the germination process.
- Keep the soil moist until the seeds germinate. Keep an eye on the plastic covering, if water starts dripping, loosen the plastic slightly to give some ventilation as seeds can rot if conditions are too wet.
- The seeds germinate in 2-3 months, remove the plastic covering as soon as they do.
- Transplant to individual 8cm pots once two true leaves have appeared, and water well. In the hot summer days use a water mister regularly, but in the winter allow the soil to dry out slightly before watering.
Top tip: They grow best in humid conditions, so your bathroom, conservatory or greenhouse is the ideal location for your Chamaedorea Elegans!
- Free shipping to UK addresses.
- Orders dispatched within 1-2 days.
- Seeds shipped in a padded envelope for protection.