The Pygmy Date Palm is an exotic plant alternatively known as Dwarf or Minature Date Palm, or its scientific name Phoenix Roebelenii. This rare palm is native to South East Asia, it has a slender trunk with pinnately-divided leaves up to 1m in length.
They are easy to grow tropical seeds and Banana Plants are simple to care for, making them the perfect ornamental statement in your home!
When to Sow Pygmy Date Palm Seeds
- Sow indoors all year round! The Pygmy Date Palm should be in a warm location to germinate.
- Germination can take 1-3 months, though we have seen success in as little as two weeks!
How to Grow a Pygmy Date Palm
- Place your seeds into a bowl of slightly warm water for 3 days, changing the water daily. This starts off the germination process.
- Fill your seed tray, or pots, with a mix of compost and vermiculite or horticultural sand, 50/50 is best. Moisten the compost and place one seed in each cell and lightly cover with compost. Lightly press down the compost so it sits firmly over the seed.
- Cover the tray with a clear plastic zip-lock bag, it lets light in and also creates a greenhouse-like atmosphere perfect for germinating seeds.
- Place in a warm, bright spot not in direct sunlight.
- Keep the soil moist but not saturated until the seeds germinate. If there is water dripping inside the plastic covering, loosen the plastic slightly to give some ventilation as seeds can rot if conditions are too damp.
- The seeds should germinate in 1-3 months, remove the plastic covering as soon as they do.
- Transplant to individual 8cm pots three weeks after germination, and water well. Keep the pots under warm, bright conditions.
Top tip: Once properly established, keep your Phoenix Roebelenii plant on the dry side, as they are sensitive to overwatering.
- Free shipping to UK addresses.
- Orders dispatched within 1-2 days.
- Seeds shipped in a padded envelope for protection.