Rainbow Gum Eucalyptus also known as Eucalyptus Deglupta or Mindanao Gum is a beautiful evergreen tree perfect for patios or sunny, light conservatories. It is native to the Philippines, Indonesia and Papua New Guinea. They are known for their beautiful multi-coloured bark, as the outer bark sheds it exposes new green bark underneath. As this new bark ages, it changes to yellow, pink, orange, blue and brown.
When to Sow Rainbow Gum Eucalyptus Seeds
- Sow: Indoors all year round!
- Germination: 1-3 Weeks, although we have seen results much quicker than this!
How to Grow Rainbow Gum Eucalyptus
- Fill your seed tray or pots with a mix of 50/50 compost and vermiculite or horticultural sand. Moisten the soil but don’t soak it.
- Place your Rainbow Gum Eucalyptus seeds on the surface of the soil, two per cell or pot. As the seeds are so small there is no need to cover them with soil.
- Cover the tray with a clear plastic zip-lock bag, or anything you can find around the house, that is clear so still lets light in to cover the tray and can create a greenhouse-like atmosphere.
- Place your container somewhere warm and light but not exposed to direct sunlight. Eucalyptus need warmth to germinate so finding the warmest spot in your house, on a heat mat or by a radiator is best.
- Keep the soil continuously moist but not soaked during the germination period, a spray mister is great for these seeds as they are so small.
- Germination usually starts within 10-12 days but can be up to 3 weeks. Remove the plastic zip-lock bag 5 days after your seedlings appear.
- Once your seedlings have appeared, they should not be allowed to completely dry off so you may need to spray them with water daily.
- Thin seedlings, and then pot on once well established into a larger pot it can stay in for at least a few years.
- Once well established you’ll want to liquid feed your Eucalyptus every two weeks from April until September with a fertiliser that's high in potassium but low in phosphate for sturdy growth.
- The Rainbow Gum Eucalyptus are from a rainforest environment so will need to be bought inside before the first frost and placed back outside after the last frost.
Top tip: Eucalyptus plants hate root disturbance so be sure to plant your seeds in a pot large enough that they can stay in for a few years!
- Free shipping to UK addresses.
- Orders dispatched within 1-2 days.
- Seeds shipped in a padded envelope for protection.