Licuala Grandis, also known as Ruffled Fan Palm are native to the Vanuata Islands off the coast of Australia. This upright growing palm is easy to recognise because of its circular, glossy green leaves in a pleated pattern that resembles a fan. The Ruffled Fan Palm likes partial to complete shade especially before it is well established.
These rare tropical seeds are easy to grow and the upright nature of the plant makes them perfect as an indoor house plant. Once mature they can tolerate low temperatures making them great palms to grow in cooler climates.
When to Sow Ruffled Fan Palm Seeds
- Sow: Indoors all year round!
- Germination: 3-6 Months, although we have seen results much quicker than this!
How to Grow a Ruffled Fan Palm
- 2Place your seeds into a bowl of slightly warm water for 2 days, changing the water daily. This kick starts the germination process. Drain the seeds and remove any orange tufts attached to them.
- Fill your seed tray, or pots, with a mix of sieved, well-draining soil mix made up of 50/50 compost and vermiculite or horticultural sand. Moisten the compost, but don’t soak it. Scarify each tropical plant seed, then place one inch deep, and lightly cover with compost.
- Cover the tray with a clear plastic zip-lock bag, or anything that is clear so still lets light in but covers the tray to create a greenhouse-like atmosphere.
- Place in the warmest and brightest spot in your house without being in direct sunlight during the germination process.
- Keep the soil moist but not saturated until the seeds germinate. Keep an eye on the plastic covering, if there is water dripping, loosen the plastic slightly to give some ventilation as seeds can rot if conditions are too damp.
- The seeds should germinate in 3-6 Months, remove the plastic covering as soon as they do.
- Transplant into individual pots once each seedling has two true leaves, and water well. Keep the pots in indirect sunlight and keep the compost moist, watering through the bottom.
Top tip: Too much sun will turn your Fan Palms leaves brown so remember to keep them in partial to full shade.
- Free shipping to UK addresses.
- Orders dispatched within 1-2 days.
- Seeds shipped in a padded envelope for protection.