The Weeping Fig is an ornamental plant native to Asia and Australia, it is an increasingly popular air-purifying house plant. The Ficus Benjamina has narrow, glossy green leaves. These rare seeds are easy to grow and can be grown as a tall indoor tree with a braided leafless trunk or as a tall or short bushy indoor plant depending on your desired look.
When to Sow Ficus Benjamina Seeds
- Sow: Indoors all year round!
- Germination: 2-5 Weeks, although we have seen results much quicker than this!
How to Grow a Weeping Fig
- Fill your seed tray or pots with a mix of 50/50 compost and vermiculite or horticultural sand. Moisten the soil but don’t soak it.
- Place your Weeping Fig seeds on the surface of the soil, two per cell or pot. As the seeds are so small there is no need to cover them with soil.
- Cover the seed tray with a clear plastic zip-lock bag, or anything clear you can find around the house, that will let in light, therefore, creating a humid atmosphere.
- Place in a warm, sunny spot with indirect sunlight in your house during the germination process. The plastic cover will help keep the warmth in to encourage the seeds to germinate.
- Keep the soil moist but not saturated during the germination process, watering through the bottom is a good idea. If water starts dripping on the plastic covering, loosen the plastic slightly to give some ventilation as seeds can rot if they get too damp.
- The seeds should germinate in 2-5 weeks, remove the plastic covering as soon as they do.
- Transplant to individual 8cm pots once well established enough to handle.
- Keep the soil moist and don’t allow it to dry out, water them less in the winter periods.
- Once well-established take care to choose a spot it can grow into, a bright spot with indirect sunlight. Ficus Benjamina don’t like to be moved and can be sensitive to cold draughts and radiators.
- Fertilise your fig tree monthly during the Spring and Summer and every two months during the Autumn and Winter. Prune to get your desired Weeping Fig shape.
Top tip: It is completely normal for your Weeping Fig to shed some leaves as the light and temperature levels change during different times of the year, this is their way of maximising energy efficiency.
- Free shipping to UK addresses.
- Orders dispatched within 1-2 days.
- Seeds shipped in a padded envelope for protection.