Strelitzia Nicoli, also known as the Giant White Bird of Paradise or Wild Banana because its leaves resemble those of a Banana tree. You can find this striking plant in Mexico and on the coast of Africa.
The White Bird of Paradise tropical seeds are easy to grow, it loves being in a warm spot with lots of natural light and will grow quickly. It has become increasingly popular as an exotic houseplant due to its large, tropical foliage.
When to Sow White Bird of Paradise Seeds
- Sow indoors all year round! The Bird of Paradise should be in a warm location to germinate.
- Germination can take 6-8 weeks, though we have seen success in as little as three weeks!
How to Grow a White Bird of Paradise
- Place your seeds into the bowl of warm water for 2 days, changing the water daily This kick starts the germination process. Drain the seeds and remove any orange tufts attached to them.
- Fill your seed tray, or pots, with a mix of 50/50 compost and vermiculite or horticultural sand. Moisten the compost, scarify each seed, then place one seed in each cell, and lightly cover with compost.
- Cover the tray with a clear plastic zip-lock bag, or anything you can find around the house, that is clear and will create a greenhouse-like atmosphere.
- Place in the brightest spot in your house without being in direct sunlight during the germination process. The plastic cover helps with keeping the warmth in to encourage the seeds to germinate.
- Keep the soil moist but not saturated until the seeds germinate. If water starts dripping inside the plastic covering, loosen it slightly to give some ventilation as seeds can rot if conditions are too damp.
- The seeds should germinate in 6-8 weeks, remove the plastic covering as soon as they do.
- Transplant to individual 8cm pots once each seedling has two leaves, and water well, be sure to keep the compost moist but not saturated.
Top tip: They thrive in humid conditions, so your bathroom, conservatory or greenhouse with lots of sunlight is the ideal location for your Bird of Paradise!
- Free shipping to UK addresses.
- Orders dispatched within 1-2 days.
- Seeds shipped in a padded envelope for protection.